We just received the following information from the VA Office of Economic Opportunity for veterans who have or are obtaining their Master’s degree and are considering careers in diplomacy and international development:
From: “VA Office of Economic Opportunity” <Veteransbenefits@public.govdelivery.com>
Date: August 28, 2014 at 2:17:07 PM EDT
Subject: Veterans Innovation Partnership (VIP)
Colleagues and Fellow Veterans,
This is a note for Veterans who have or are in a Master’s degree program. If you are, or know of a Veteran who might qualify please read on. This is a great opportunity.
In any event, we’d like to wish everyone a safe and relaxing Labor Day weekend with family and friends.
For Veterans who are considering careers in diplomacy and international development, I want to make you aware of a great opportunity for which you may be eligible. The U.S. Department of State has launched the Veterans Innovation Partnership (VIP), a new public-private alliance platform aimed at serving America’s Veterans and separating Servicemembers by preparing them for diplomacy and development careers, providing education and employment resources and expertise while enhancing America’s global leadership.
They are currently accepting applications for the Fall 2014 class of VIP Fellows. The main focus of VIP is to build and deploy strategic partnerships between the U.S. government and the U.S. private sector to mobilize resources and build networks to promote foreign affairs career opportunities for Veterans.
The VIP fellowship will include the following components:
- Full-time employment beginning in Fall 2014 and lasting for one year
- Responsibilities and compensation commensurate with a Master’s degree
- Mentoring and professional development opportunities throughout the year
- Eligibility Requirements
VIP fellowships are only open to Veterans who:
- Are enrolled in a Master’s degree program in the preferred fields of International Business, International Relations / Affairs, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related fields (this includes MPA, MPH, MPP, MBA, and JD degrees).
- Completed a Master’s degree in the preferred or related fields listed above less than two years prior to applying for the fellowship (except for Veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, they will have up to six years after degree completion to apply).
- Are able to obtain a Secret Level security clearance.
- Provide a resume. Use your resume to highlight your education, expertise, achievements and honors, extracurricular activities / community service, and any leadership experience. The resume should not exceed two pages.
- Criteria include outstanding leadership and life experience, as well as excellence in academic, cross-cultural and communication skills.
- To be considered, an applicant’s cumulative GPA for the Master’s degree should be 3.2 or above on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to be a VIP Fellow, please submit your resume to email@example.com. Subject to funding and further arrangements, the application deadline is currently September 15, 2014, with participants beginning their fellowship in Fall 2014. Please refer to www.vipfellowship.org and @vipfellowship for further information and updates.
Curtis L. Coy
Deputy Under Secretary for Economic Opportunity
Veterans Benefits AdministrationU.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
VA Core Values: Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, Excellence (“I CARE”)