John Gagnon, J.D.
John Gagnon is an experienced writer, trainer, and consultant with a multidisciplinary background. His federal experience, as a senior-level Program Manager, encompassed content management, immigration issues, and victim protection. While a federal employee, John received a “Plain Language Award” from the Department of Homeland Security for his focus on clear, concise writing and delivered expertise in program management, quality assurance, and professional training for federal employees throughout the United States.
John works with wide range of clients including candidates for Senior Executive Service, military veterans, federal employees across all occupational series, private sector job applicants, and students. A skilled trainer and public speaker, John also delivers seminars and workshops for the Federal Career Training Institute, delivering expert guidance to federal and military sector clients. John emphasizes a three-pronged approach – planning, preparation, and plain language – that consistently delivers quality results.
In addition to his professional background, John is an accomplished academic. His research has been published in peer-reviewed academic publications and he has presented his work at international, national, and regional conferences. He is a former member of the Eberhard P. Deutsch International Law Society, the Tulane Human Rights Law Society, and the Baltimore Council on Foreign Affairs. He is a current member of the National Council of Teachers of English, the Rhetoric Society of America, College Composition and Communication, and the Modern Language Association. John earned his Ph.D. in Rhetoric from Michigan State University, holds J.D. and M.S. degrees from Tulane University, and received his B.A. in English from Andrews University with honors. He has also studied international legal and cultural issues at the University of Amsterdam and the International Center for Ethnic Studies in Sri Lanka.
- Veteran applicants
- Applicants moving from the private sector to federal government
- SES packages
- Federal employees moving up in or changing job series
- College students seeking their first federal or private industry job
- Current PhD., Rhetoric and Composition, Michigan State University
- J.D., Tulane University
- M.S., Tulane University
- B.A., English, Andrews University
- “Plain Language Award” for his focus on clear, concise writing and delivered expertise in program management, quality assurance, and professional training for federal employees throughout the United States.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- Rhetoric Society of America
- College Composition and Communication
- Modern Language Association
- Former member of the Eberhard P. Deutsch International Law Society,
- Former member of the Tulane Human Rights Law Society
- Former member of the Baltimore Council on Foreign Affairs